Applying for a membership in Chatham Village includes some steps to help you understand cooperative membership and the bylaws of Chatham Village. Our experienced office staff will help guide you through the process which is outlined below.
When you decide to purchase a membership, your realtor or attorney will negotiate a sales agreement that specifies the selling price, occupancy date, and any other terms and conditions of the sale. You then apply for membership.
- You must also submit a copy of the sales agreement and a completed Chatham Village application, resume, and most recent income tax return to the Chatham Village office. All information is kept confidential.
- Chatham Village Homes, Inc. will then initiate a credit reference check.
- We will send a copy of the corporation's by-laws, occupancy agreement, financial statements, and rules and regulations to the prospective member for their review.
- Next, prospective new members and their families or other residents will meet the Membership Committee. This conference gives you the opportunity to learn more about the Village, to clarify its policies and the obligations of membership. You will be asked if you have read and understand the rules and regulations and agree to abide by them. This meeting also provides prospective members with the opportunity to ask questions as well as meet a cross section of current members.
- The committee will then recommend acceptance or denial of membership to the Chatham Village board, and you will be notified of their decision. A sale may not close until this process has been completed.